When I’m not quilting, I’m a skin care consultant for L’Bri Pure n’ Natural. From my training with L’Bri I’ve been setting goals and working towards them regularly for the last two years.
When I want something, I’ve found that if I think about it enough and work towards it hard enough, I usually get it.
But for some reason, I’ve not been doing this with quilting. Not regularly at least.
Last October, I did create the goal to become an award winning quilter, and did with the creation of The Duchess. But after this goal was reached, I didn’t sit down and plan out a new strategy.
Upon realizing this today, I’ve added 2 more lists to the 3 lists I write each day in my journal:
1. Love list – Write a list of 10 things you love about yourself. This was a really hard list for me to write at first. I’ve struggled with low self esteem and a monstrous negative voice for much of my life. Starting each day with a clear focus and love in my heart is making a HUGE difference.
2. 5 Reasons I work L’Bri – There’s no point in working a job or owning a business if you don’t know WHY you do it. Every single day I write down the top reasons I work my skin care business. These reasons change on a daily basis because my needs change constantly too.
3. 3 Goals for L’Bri - Continually working towards a goal is extremely important. If you aren’t working forward, you’re either standing still or going backwards. Three goals work better than just one because again, needs and desires change on a daily basis.
4. 5 reasons I work Day Style Designs – Today is the first day I put this list on paper and I was delighted with the results. I like skin care, but I LOVE quilting. Understanding why I work this business on a daily basis will make a huge difference in what I accomplish each week and month.
5. 3 goals for Day Style Designs – Just like with skin care, having a focus is extremely important. I’m realizing that setting goals with quilting is just as important as setting goals in skin care.
Many times I get distracted and unfocused, unclear what I really want from any of my businesses or my life for that matter. Starting the day with a list of what I want is the first step to actually getting it.
Before I learned about business training I thought that my inability to finish even the smallest projects was my fault. Now I realize that to finish a big project like The Duchess or Light in Me or even How to Piece Perfect Quilts requires more than just tools and materials. It requires dedicated thought, planning, and determination to see the project through from start to finish.
Writing a list might not seem like the first step to finishing a quilt, but I’m going to see if it makes a difference for my life and my quilting business for the next few weeks.
After all, what do I have to lose?